Gluten Free Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Bars
Adapted from the Food Network
Red Velvet layer:
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 tsp white distilled vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (or regular white) - I used Jules Gluten Free All Purpose
- 8 oz cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8×8″ baking dish with parchment paper or foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine melted butter with sugar and mix well. Add vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar in that order, mixing between additions.
- Whisk in the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each. Fold in the flour. Pour all batter except 1/4 cup into prepared baking pan.
- To make the cream cheese layer, blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Spread the cream cheese on top of brownie batter. Drop dollops of remaining brownie batter over cream cheese layer and using a knife, swirl through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven and cool completely before cutting into squares.