We loved these sloppy joes - the sauce was really good and they were much healthier since mushrooms were added, thus decreasing the beef in each serving. I'm being completely honest when I say that you have no idea there are mushrooms in this recipe. As a matter of fact, I just asked Lo if he knew there were mushrooms in it and he had no idea.
Reduced-Fat Sloppy Joes
inspired by Cook's Country Recipe
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or some sriracha sauce to taste
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 lb. 93 percent lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
2. Make Sauce Heat remaining oil in empty skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Cook onion and processed mushrooms, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire, red pepper flakes or sriracha, sugar, vinegar, and water. Simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
3. Simmer Beef Add beef and simmer, breaking up meat with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.